We live in a completely technological world where what is current today may become obsolete tomorrow. Companies from different economic and production sectors are working every day on their R&D projects so that their ideas will soon reach physical showcases and e-commerce stores.
The fashion world is also working in this direction. Awareness of the need to improve human, business and social behavior in relation to the environment favors eco-design. The production of clothing with environmentally friendly materials is an increasingly established innovation.
The aim is to ensure that the design, production and manufacture of fashion has the lowest possible environmental impact. This affects its entire life cycle, including the period after sale, which is where circular economy strategies come in.
Tips for eco-design innovation
The initial phase is the design of the dress, shirt, pants, coat or socks that will be part of a collection of ecologically designed products.
- Materials: It is necessary to choose well the raw materials, the natural ones will be the best option, because they will be respectful with the planet.
- Manufacturing: How they will be manufactured is essential to the entire process. One of the biggest criticisms of the fashion industry is the expense of water that goes into making a single garment.
- Distribution: How these garments will be distributed also affects sustainability.
- Use: How will garments be used: Are they going to be garments that will be worn only a few times or will the customer take advantage of it as much as possible? Innovation in eco-friendly clothing and comfort must also be taken into account.
- End of life: What will be the end of life of the product? The materials must be top quality so that we can sell it as second-hand fashion instead of throwing it away.
There is still a long way to go in designs based on a circular economy. It is everyone’s task to leave a better Planet for future generations.